After all four cabinets were completely assembled, there was enough lumber remaining to build a fifth. So building one more unit gave me a chance to time a complete iteration of the entire process – start-to-finish .
All the cutting, gluing and clamping required 5.25 hours. Then the unit had to dry overnight. These first steps should have been a little faster, but I had to take measurements for several detail steps from a completed cabinet. Those measurements were not captured in my plan – evidence for the importance of good documentation. Rough-sanding, finish-sanding and attaching doors required about three more hours. So about eight hours were required to build one cabinet, not including the coating.
Applying the finishing coats had to be done outside, and as it turned out, several weeks of drought conditions were no guarantee the weather would cooperate. Rain arrived between coats, but it was very much needed, so I couldn’t complain.
A minimum of 12 hours was required for each coat to dry before applying the next, and each cabinet received 3 coats of polyurethane. I added pigment to the polyurethane, and the red-brown color made the pine cabinets look like cedar.
Prior to installing the cabinets, the barn aisle had to be cleaned.
- Everything was removed
- The aisle was pressured washed, floor-to-ceiling
- A coat of water-seal was applied to the walls
The first step of actually installing the cabinets was to place them along the walls where they would be attached. The cabinets were to be mounted about nine inches above the floor, so I used a paint can and a wood shim to elevate each unit into position. Then I used heavy-duty screws to fasten them to the wall.
After all the cabinets were up – elevated and immobilized – it was easier to install the inside hardware. Then, of course, each cabinet could be filled with tack and miscellaneous equipment.
There was not enough wall space to arrange the cabinets evenly, one-per-stall along the aisle, even after moving other aisle accessories around. Still, once installed and filled, the cabinets accomplished the goal. The aisle is more organized than ever.
There are a few touch-ups needed and some corner protectors to add, but the job is essentially done.